The Negress is back in her old stomping grounds. She’s even headed back to college for stuff she may or may not discuss later. Add friends, good food plus a liaison with New York and what’s not to like? Her alma mater figures in this trip as well as a semi-secret society to which she belongs. So, anyway, here’s the rundown.
1. Compared to Chicago and New York, Boston is on the B-list although it thinks it isn’t.
2. Somerville is cool now. Never dreamed that would happen.
3. Boston seems to remain ethnically challenged. The Negress is not relying on empirical evidence, but her gut memories of the Louise Day Hicks-Pixie Palladino era of local politics are still strong. Also, being on the T and playing Count the Black People did not yield a double-digit result.
4. Apparently, HiFi Pizza and the F&T Deli are no more. A generation of hungry, post-gig musicians weeps.
5.New York City remains awesome and the Bolt Bus, a child of Greyhound, is the best deal going between New York and Boston (not a paid placement). Napping through Connecticut is mandatory.
6. Newark is about to surprise some people. The Negress has two great friends who are now living in a refurbished Art Deco building downtown about seven blocks from City Hall. Other buildings are getting the same treatment and a hotel is being built by the Devils’ arena and Whole Foods will be arriving shortly. The Negress also walked fearlessly from Penn Station to the Ironbound one night. She never would have done that when she worked there.
7. Jersey City is getting foofy. It had to happen. High rises are springing up on every corner, each with a series of bankrupt developers..
8. The Negress is staying with people who are on a first-name basis with Samuel “Chip” Delaney. She is not worthy.
9. The Negress could go for a grinder and tonic, but then again, maybe not.
10. Finally, she is not sure which Sox are worse.